Thursday, December 6, 2012

Archery CVIRAA 2012 | Day 4, Thursday, December 6, 2012

Today, I woke up, well rested, and ready to give my best for the 50 and 60-meter events. I have mixed feeling about these two events which could have been brought likely by my experiences during the Cebu City Olympics last month. The 50 meter event is where I got a dismal score of only 141 and luckily I still got a bronze medal during that City Games. The 60 meter distance is where I was excited because I got 232 points that was worth a gold medal. I know that this tournament is no longer the City Meet and I am now facing the best girl archers from the region that is known to top archery competitions in the country. My mom and dad are always telling me to keep getting experiences and exposure to continuously harness and develop my God-given athletic skills.

I always loved sports and I was into volleyball and football. In my 6th grade last year, I was a member of the CNU-ILS Elementary Girls Volleyball Team that participated in the City Olympics. I wanted to develop that sport so I enrolled last summer at the Ateneo Cebu for the Volleyball and Football clinic. I always wanted to be part of the Varsity team. I even keep a soccer ball in Jeddah so everytime I go and visit my dad during summer breaks, I have something 'sporty' to do while I'm there. There is a park beside my dad's villa in Jeddah and I would go out in the afternoons to play football there... You could just imagine a girl in her full black abaya cover kicking and playing with the soccer ball. Hahaha :-)

When I flew to Jeddah with my Ate Gabrielle last May 2012, things changed. Dad kept on nagging us to try Archery. Thus, a little more than 6 months ago, I first touched a bow and arrow and my sport life has never been the same again.

So when I went to the range this morning, I resolved to do the best I can despite my limitations -
Many of the other archers call me "Ate" thinking I am older than them. It could be because I am bigger than my age. So I would ask them their age and they would tell me that they're 14 or 15. I would quickly tell them that I'm only 12 and would want to add I'm still my mom and dad's baby... :-)

I'm overwhelmed to hear that many of the girls are experienced archers in CVIRAA, Palarong Pambansa and Batang Pinoy. I still don't have that depth of experience that they have.

I stood at the range this morning with the confidence that I am there because I choose to be there. I will not allow my limitations to control my Archery Journey. I had the full support of mom and dad and my siblings and I have the best coaches one could only dream of.

Here are the photos of my 4th day in CVIRAA 2012 -

Aiming for the yellow!
The running tabulation for the 50 m distance
After retrieving our arrows
Results of the 50 m
The result of the 50 m was a big improvement of my previous record at the the Cebu City Olympics. Today I got 192 and I ranked 6. That was 51 points improvement to my previous 141.

The following photos were taken during the 60 m event. You'll be able to see the shadow of the acacia trees and the archers' shadows which show that the sun was at its peak. It was past 12 noon and we were still shooting so the Game Official declared that we would have a quick lunch break after the 3rd set.

Photo shows the scores for the first set of arrows in the 60 meters. I was struggling with my sight and I had to make sure that I was able to compensate for my sight. Coach Joe left for Iloilo City to also coach for the other members at the Cebu Archery Club who are participating in the Batang Pinoy National Games.The next shots were not that good either so mom had to make a call to Coach Jing to ask her advise on what to do and I was advised to just remove my sight. My scores started to improve a bit but the pressure was on.
We had a quick lunch break at the after the 3 sets of arrows and  immediately resumed shooting after lunch.

The photo shows the tabulated scores for 60 m including ranking. I only got 187 points and I ranked 11th in this event. The 60 m event is where I got a gold medal during the Cebu City Olympics last month. That time I was able to get 232 points.

The table officials tabulating the results after the last arrow had been released, retrieved and scored. All the individual scores for each of the 4 events were tabulated and ranked accordingly.


The tabulated scoreboard that showed the final results of the 4 events - 30 m, 40 m, 50 m and 60 m. I got a total of 867 Individual Round Points that placed me in Rank 7.

After the two-day competition, here is the Top 10 Individual ranking for the CVIRAA 2012 Archery for Girls (30, 40, 50, and 60-meter events).  I placed 7th among 28 Archers! That's great! In the top spot is Rey Ann Flores from Cebu City. There were only 2 of us from Cebu City who landed in the Top 10. All the 4 Girl Archers from Mandaue City made it to the next 4 spots. Lapulapu City ranked 6th, Cebu Province took the 8th and 9th spot while Dumaguete City got the 10th highest individual score. Many archers are CVIRAA and Palarong Pambansa veterans. Next year, I can say I have experienced a CVIRAA Games and will then be considered a CVIRAA veteran... :-) 
Here's the performance of the Cebu City Archery Team (Girls) CVIRAA 2012. I'm proud to have maintained my No. 2 Ranking which I garnered during the Cebu City Olympics last month. I also improved my overall score to 867 from the 839 I got during the Cebu City Olympics held last month. All my other 3 team mates are from Gothong National High School. I am the lone archer from Cebu Normal University - Integrated Laboratory School.

A pose with the rest of the Cebu City Archers, Coaches & Chaperones.
We only see each other at the SU Archery Range as they are billeted in Valencia, some 8 to 10 kms away from the city. 

I received this afternoon the schedule for the 40 m Olympic Round that will be held tomorrow morning. For the 1/16 round I am matched with #26 - Libunfacil, GN from Tagbilaran City

Tidbits...

While I was at the Archery Range waiting for additional instructions, Mom quickly ran to the famous Sans Rival to grab some pasalubong for Kuya Kevin, Ate Gabrielle and cousins. She also went to the ticketing office to book our flight back to Cebu City.

 Good night everyone! I will rest early tonight in preparation for tomorrow's Olympic Round and the Team Competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment