Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Archery CVIRAA 2012 | Day 3, Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I thought Day 3 of CVIRAA 2012 will also be cancelled as Typhoon Signal #2 was still in force in Dumaguete City. I learned yesterday evening that Dep Ed Region 7 Director met with the Schools Division Superintendents and decided to tentatively cancel today's sports activities depending on the outcome of the weather.

It was not a convenient night last night as mom and I were not able to sleep well at the Island's Leisure Boutique Hotel because of the power black out that started yesterday evening. We had to put off our phones to save on the battery so we can use only in case of emergency during the onslaught of Typhoon Pablo (aka Bopha - International Name). Both mom and I were restless and I really pity mom as she was still nursing a slight back pain. From time to time, we would put on one phone after another to monitor the status of the weather in Cebu City and  also to check on Kuya Kevin and Ate Gabrielle. We also had to check Ate Fe in Brookfields. We are very thankful to God that there was no big damage in Dumaguete City and everything is fine back home in Cebu.

Despite our lack of sleep, we woke up early to go to the Silliman University Archery Range to check on any changes in the schedule.

This was how the garden with the red fountain at the hotel greeted us when we got out of our room. The sky was still gloomy but the sun rays gave us hope that it was going to be a fine day.

We got to the Archery Range at past 7:00 and this was how it looked like. The ground was full of debris - branches and leaves from the old acacia trees that lined along the range.

As soon as we learned that the Games will resume in the afternoon, we went to a coffee shop to charge our phones and we started to look around for a hotel that has a power generator. It was quite difficult to find one at this time. There was one we found but I whispered to mom that it doesn't look like a hotel but a resto bar. "Bahala na oi basta naa ray matulugan." :-)

That morning itself we moved in our things to our newfound hotel and immediately hurried back to the Archery Range by 12:00 noon as the competition will start at 1:00 pm. I had no time for lunch because I felt I still had a full stomach. It was probably my excitement to compete that made me feel full.

It was very warm and humid, a usual phenomenon after a storm and even before the games began, I started to perspire all over... My, the other older girls were just okay and here I am, the youngest competitor sweating it out like a horse. :-(

There are 28 girl archers from all over Region 7 that competed and I was assigned at Target Butt Range 4B. All the Cebu City archers were assigned in the B Range (1B, 2B, 3B, 4B).

Other range assignments are: 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A - Dumaguete City Archers; 1C, 2C, 3C, 4C - Mandaue City Archers; 1D, 2D, 3D, 4D - Cebu Province Archers; 5B, 6B, 7B, 8B - Bohol Province Archers; 5C, 6C, 7C, 8C - Lapulapy City Archers; 5D, 6D, 7D, 8D - Tagbilaran City Archers.


It was a tough competition in the 30 meter qualifying round and I ranked 6th out of 28 with a total of 276 points. That was a 27 points improvement of the 249 points at the 22nd Cebu City Olympics where I placed 2nd.

For the 40 m qualifying round, I had a bad attack of migraine and I started to feel weak. My shoulders started to falter and my hand was often hit by the bow string. I cried because my shoulder was hurting. Coach Joe by the way is also a nurse and he assisted me when I cried. Coach Jing was there too to guide us on what to do. My ever-supportive mom had to look around for ice cubes to put on my shoulder to appease the pain but ice cubes were nowhere to be found since there was a long brown out the night before till today. Mom went to the Silliman University Medical Center and asked for some ice cubes to be used for an athelete's injury... She got some and that helped me a lot. Then, I started to feel hungry. It's not coincidental but I believe it was God who brought mom's colleague in the judiciary from Dumaguete City, Judge Tan to visit us during the competition... and would you believe he brought snacks for me. :-))

I ranked 12th in the 40 m with only 212 points. This was lower than the 217 points that I got in Cebu City last month.

After the 30 and 40 meters qualifying round, I ranked 9th overall. The cumulative Top 10 after the two events were from:
  1. Cebu City
  2. Mandaue City
  3. Mandaue City
  4. Mandaue City
  5. Dumaguete City
  6. Cebu Province
  7. Mandaue City
  8. Dumaguete City
  9. Cebu City - :-) This is me
  10. Cebu Province
Tomorrow will be the qualifying round for the 50 and 60 meters. It can be anybody's game. I hope to maintain my position the least or improve it if I can.

I learned that one has to have the stamina to sustain till the last rounds...to be in a healthy condition all the time. Because of the suspension of the Games in Day 2, the schedules were clamped together and there was really no time anymore for me to rest. It was a continuous shooting and young as I am and a neophyte in tournaments like this, it was a bit difficult for me. Competition is never to be taken for granted. Practice...practice and more practice because correct practice makes perfect! I'm confident that with the support of mom and dad and my siblings plus the champion and Olympian archers as my mentors, I will make it to the top soon. As they say in Saudi Arabia where my dad is, Inshallah (God willing)!

Well, good night everyone... this 12-year old Grade 7 CNU student (or should I say, this baby? ;-) )needs to get a good night's rest tonight! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment